Here a few things to keep in mind to help increase your chances of accepted Daily Deviations suggestions.
- I only take Artisan Craft and Traditional Art / Sculpture gallery suggestions, I cannot feature anything else.
- I will not feature work that is blurry or with poor lighting. It doesn't have to be AMAZING photography, but it does need to be well presented.
- Artists that already have more than 3 DDs most likely won't be featured (I sometimes make exceptions when they haven't been featured in a long time).
- Deviations that are 2 years+ old won't be featured. Look in the artist's gallery and find something more recent. Odds are that the artist has improved since then and has a piece that reflects that.
- As a personal rule, I do not give more than one DD per artist. If I have given a DD to the artist before, please send your suggestion to cakecrumbs instead.
Suggesting a DD
- Send the suggestion via note, it should be titled "DD Suggestion".
- ONE SUGGESTION PER NOTE (you can however include a few pieces from the same artist). Please include thumbnails (ie: :thumb###: ), NOT LINKS. Also, it helps if you include a brief comment on why you think the piece should receive attention from a wide audience.
- Self suggestions are encouraged. Be proud of your work! If I decide to feature you, I won't let you know.
- Only send your suggestion to one Community Volunteer!
The #1 cause of rejection
How To Photograph Your CraftsThe absolute number one cause of rejection of DD suggestions for most Artisan Craft CVs is poor photography. There is nothing worse than seeing an otherwise brilliant piece ruined by a dodgy photo. But even beyond DD acceptance, if you want to people on dA to be able to appreciate your skill you need to be able to show your work off to advantage.
Sometimes I'll tell a self-suggester that I can't feature their work because of the quality of the photography and they'll inevitably reply, "Oh, I'll have to get a better camera."
Repeat after me: the tools never make the artist.
You don't need a $9000 sewing machine to stitch a dress, you don't need a $1000 stand mixer to bake a cake, and you similarly don't need a top of the range SLR to take a brilliant photograph. It's all in how you take the photo.
To help us understand photography concepts a little more, Fella is going to help us out. Say hi Fella!
When you disapprove
Remember that not everyone has the same taste, you may not understand my decision to feature some pieces but please be respectful to the artist and do not leave hurtful comments on his/her page.
Feel free to contact me via note and I will be happy to explain why I chose to feature that piece. Furthermore, send in your DD suggestions so that next time you might have a better chance of approving of the selection.
FAQ #61: What is a Daily Deviation?
FAQ #18: Who selects Daily Deviations and how are they chosen?
FAQ #313: How can I find out if someone already has a Daily Deviation?
FAQ #873: What do I do when I disapprove of a Daily Deviation feature?
Thanks for reading, let me know if you have any questions.